Child Development Grant Information

The Child Development Grant is designed for students who:

·  Are attending a California public or private, two-year or four-year postsecondary educational institution AND
·  Intend to teach or to supervise at a licensed children’s center in California
  This grant is administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). 
Who benefits from the Child Development Grant?
The program provides benefits to selected applicants who:
·  Are enrolled in approved coursework leading to a Child Development Permit issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing in one of the following levels:
o   Teacher
o   Master Teacher
o   Site Supervisor
o   Program Director
·  Maintain at least half-time enrollment and Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by the post-secondary institution, and demonstrate financial need
Grant Amounts
Each year up to 100 new applicants are selected for awards, and recipients awarded in the previous academic year are eligible to renew their grant. Grant recipients attending a two-year postsecondary institution are eligible to receive up to $1,000 per academic year, and recipients attending a four-year university are eligible to receive up to $2,000 per academic year.
Applicant Eligibility Criteria
•  You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen.
•  You must be a California resident.
•  You must meet federal Selective Service System filing requirements.
•  You must submit a complete FAFSA application for the corresponding academic year prior to the final filing date of the Child Development Grant listed on the application. You can apply for the FAFSA online at
•  You must be nominated by an eligible postsecondary institution.
•  You must maintain at least half-time enrollment in approved courses leading to a permit.
•  You must meet and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by postsecondary education institution.
•  You must commit to full-time employment in a licensed children’s center in California for a period of one year for each year of benefits received.
How do I apply for the Child Development Grant?
1.  Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at
2.  Submit the Child Development Grant Application or Renewal Application to the Shari Yates, Associate Professor, RCC Early Childhood Education Department or RCC SFS Office before the application deadline date. Applications can be picked up from the Early Childhood Studies Department or SFS Office. You may also print it from our website at
3.  Complete your financial aid file by the first posted deadline for priority processing.
4.  Meet with RCC Academic Counselor prior to fall registration, if possible, to complete a Student Educational Plan (SEP). Please call (951) 222-8440 to schedule an appointment.
5.  Enroll in 6 or more units from your SEP for fall and spring.
How do I receive my Child Development Grant?
1.  When Child Development Grant funds are available, CSAC will send you an award email. The check will be mailed to the RCC Student Accounts office for student pick up. When the Child Development Grant funds are available for student pick up, the SFS office will send you an award email.
2.  Riverside City College cannot determine a student’s eligibility for the Child Development Grant if any of the above eligibly and application items are not complete!
Child Development Grant Resources
·  CSAC Website:
Child Development Grant Contact Information
RCC Child Development Grant Coordinator:  Jana Gray,, 951-222-8713