The program focuses on the implementation of the nursing process and promotes critical thinking to make clinical judgments to provide quality, safe, patient-centered care. Clinical experiences across the lifespan and in a variety of healthcare settings. Upon completion of the VN program, the graduate is eligible for the National Licensing Examination (NCLEX-PN) for licensure as a Licensed Vocational Nurse in the State of California
Vocational Nursing Student Achievement Data
The Vocational Nursing NCLEX-PN pass rates and program completion data is reported in the VN Program Student Achievement Data.
Program Outcome 1: The program demonstrates evidence of graduates’ achievement on the licensure examination.
Expected Level of Achievement: NCLEX-PN pass rates will be at least 80% for all first-time test takers during the same 12-month period.
|2018||97% (n = 32)|
|2019||95% (n = 48)|
|2020||94% (n = 47)|
Program Outcome 2: The program demonstrates evidence of students’ achievement in completing the nursing program.
Expected Level of Achievement: On-time program completion will be 80% or greater.
|YEAR||% OF STUDENTS|
|2018-2019||81% (n = 58)|
|2019-2020||80% (n = 60)|
|2020-2021||80% (n = 60)|
Program Outcome 3: The program demonstrates evidence of graduates’ achievement in job placement.
Expected Level of Achievement: 90% of graduates will be employed as a registered nurse within one-year of graduation.
|YEAR||Job Placement Rate||Academic Progression Rate*|
|2020||56% (n = 41)||41% (n = 41)|
|2021||75% (n = 48)||75% (n = 48)|
*Students who advance their education and defer their employment following graduation
Students interested in the Vocational Nursing program have two different academic pathways(CERTIFICATE, ASSOCIATE DEGREE) available depending on the eligibility of the applicant.
For questions regarding program requirements, enrollment, and application processes, please visit the Health-Related Sciences Engagement Center to find a listing of Pre-Nursing Workshops and to connect with our Educational Advisor and Nursing Enrollment & Evaluation Specialist.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Provide quality, safe, patient-centered nursing care using evidence-based practices.
- Function as a professional and competent entry level health care provider while assimilating all ethical and legal principles.
- Provide leadership in a variety of healthcare settings for diverse patient populations.
- Integrate caring relationships into nursing interventions that positively influence health outcomes and demonstrate sensitivity to the values of others.
- Participate in collaborative relationships through communication with members of the inter-professional healthcare team for the purpose of providing and improving patient care.
- Incorporate critical thinking principles using reasoning and adaptability to make sound clinical judgments necessary for the provision of quality patient care and continuous quality improvement.
- Employ technology to effectively communicate, manage knowledge, prevent errors, and support decision-making.
VN Certificate Pathway
VN Associates Degree Pathway
The Associate of Science Degree in Vocational Nursing will be awarded upon completion of the degree requirements, including general education and other graduation requirements as described in the college catalog.
|HIS-6/6H or HIS-7/7H or POL-1/1H||3|
|HUM-10/10H or PHI-10/10H or THE-3||3|
|MAT-12/12H or PSY/SOC-48||4 or 3|
|COM -1/1H or COM-9/9H||3|
Potential Careers in
- Acute Care Facilities
- Ambulatory Care Clinics
- Long-term Care/Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Hospice Care
- Home Health
- Private Medical Practices