The Barbering Concepts Certificate prepares individuals to provide professional cosmetic services in barber shops, salons, resorts, casinos and other related industry establishments. This includes courses in hair design, hair sculpting, chemical, esthetic and other cosmetic services, safety and sanitation, management, customer service, and preparation for practicing as licensed barbers in the state of California. Courses in applicable professional labor laws and regulations in the barbering industry, physiology, anatomy, electricity and ergonomics are also covered in depth. Emphasis is placed on passing state licensing exam and industry entry skills.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Identify the organizations responsible for advancing the barbering profession and explain the function of state barber boards.
- Deduce valid conclusions, compare viable techniques and apply principles in preparation of the California State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology practical and written exam.
- Identify and analyze concepts leading to synthesis of theory for the state board written exam. Produce a business plan and portfolio.
- Demonstrate entry level skills in a clinic laboratory setting.
- Demonstrate workplace behaviors (soft skills) necessary for success in the cosmetology industry.
|Required Courses (47.5-64.5 units)||Units|
|COS-1A||Introduction to Cosmetology Level I||3|
|COS-1B||Introduction to Cosmetology Level II||3|
|COS-1C||Cosmetology Business Concepts||1|
|COS-10A||Level I Hairstyling Concepts||3|
|COS-10B||Level II Hairstyling Concepts||3|
|COS-10C||Level III Hairstyling Concepts||2|
|COS-20A||Level I Chemical Texture Concepts||3|
|COS-20B||Level II Chemical Texture Concepts||3|
|COS-30A||Level I Haircutting Concepts||2|
|COS-30B||Level II Haircutting Concepts||2|
|COS-30C||Level III Haircutting Concepts||1.5|
|COS-30D||Level IV Haircutting Barbering Concepts||7|
|COS-40A||Level I Haircoloring and Bleaching Concepts||3|
|COS-40B||Level II Haircoloring and Bleaching Concepts||3|
|COS-90A||Level I Clinic Floor Concepts||1-8|
|COS-90B||Level II Clinic Floor Concepts||2-8|
|COS-90C||Level III Clinic Floor Concepts||4-8|
|COS-96A||Barbering Theory Exam Readiness||0.5|
|COS-96B||Barbering Practical Exam Readiness||0.5|
This Program Pathway will allow a full-time student to complete this program in 24-36 months. For students who require a part time pathway, please see a counselor for more information.