Visual, Performing and Creative Arts Engagement Center
The Fine & Performing Arts Engagement Center services students with major areas of emphasis in Art, Dance, Music and Theatre. Your Engagement Center can connect you with your Educational Advisor, Peer Mentors, FPA Counselor, and faculty advisors. We are here to answer all of your questions regarding enrollment, registration, programs of study, grade options, transfer requirements, COVID-19 updates, and workshops and events on campus.
Our In-Person Location – The Fine & Performing Arts Engagement Center is located on RCC’s main campus at Stover 114. Peer Mentors are staffed in our center for drop-in hours:
|Monday||8:30 am - 3 pm|
|Tuesday||8 - 11 am|
|Wednesday||8:30 am - 4:30 pm|
|Thursday||3:30 - 5 pm|
|Friday||Noon - 4 pm|
Students are also welcome to call in for peer mentor assistance during these days/times at 951-222-8752 or 951-222-8753.
Our Online Engagement Center (on Canvas) – Students are highly-encouraged to self-enroll into our Online Fine & Performing Arts Engagement Center on Canvas. Our Online Center is a one-stop location for all FPA & RCC information, resources, important dates, workshops, and more.
Academic Counselor – Mike Barnes is the Fine & Performing Arts Academic Counselor. Your Counselor can help you choose, define, navigate, and complete your academic program (major). To make an appointment with Mike Barnes, please visit the Visual, Performing and Creative Arts counseling appointments online link. In order to make an appointment with Mike Barnes, you must be designated as a Fine & Performing Arts (Art, Dance, Music, Theatre) Major. If you have trouble making an appointment with Mike, please notify your Educational Advisor, Rosalina Hernandez.
Educational Advisor – Rosalina Hernandez can help you navigate college, use our enrollment systems, connect you with your faculty advisor, peer mentors, Promise Program Coordinator, academic counselor, and more. You can contact Rosalina at Rosalina.Hernandez@rcc.edu, or you can make an appointment with her.
Peer Mentors – Peer mentors are second- or third-year “experienced” college students who are trained to help you navigate college. They can offer you a unique perspective on your educational journey. In addition to being staffed at various days/times in our engagement center, peer mentors are available for one-on-one and small group meetings. They can assist you with referrals to campus resources and student activities, as well as chat with you about the student experience - classes, professors, programs, and more. Visit the Fine & Performing Arts Online Engagement Center on Canvas for more information about our peer mentors, their hours, and how to make personal appointments with them.
Faculty Advisors – Our Fine & Performing Arts faculty are actively involved in their students’ educational and career plans. If you are an FPA major, you should be in contact with the faculty advisor in your area of emphasis (see below).
- Will Kim (Will.Kim@rcc.edu) – Animation
- Rhonda Taube (Rhonda.Taube@rcc.edu) – Art History
- Jeff Soto (Jeff.Soto@rcc.edu) – Studio Art/Illustration
- Leslie Brown (Leslie.Brown@rcc.edu) – Studio Arts; Painting; Sculpting; Graphic Design; Commercial Art; Art Galleries/Museums Design and Preparation; Curator; Costume and Scenic Design; Interior Fabric Design Art
- Robert Jew (Robert.Jew@rcc.edu) – illustration
- Brian Kohn (Brian.Kohl@rcc.edu) - ceramics
- Jennifer Amaya (Jennifer.Amaya@rcc.edu): Music Technology; Music Industry Studies; Music Production; Media Composition; Music Notation; Music Recording & Mixing; Live Sound
- John Byun (John.Byun@rcc.edu): Voice; Choral; Music Education-Choral
- Peter Curtis (Peter.Curtis@rcc.edu): Guitar Performance; Class Guitar; Guitar Ensemble; Jazz Improvisation; Popular & Multicultural Music
- Don Foster (Donald.Foster@rcc.edu): Clarinet; Woodwinds; Music Appreciation (non-major)
- Jasminka Knecht (Jasminka.Knecht@rcc.edu): Piano Performance; Piano Certificate; Class Piano; Music Fundamentals
- Steven Mahpar (Steven.Mahpar@rcc.edu): Music Fundamentals, Music Theory; French horn
- Kevin Mayse (Kevin.Mayse@rcc.edu): Trumpet; Orchestra; Wind Ensemble; Brass; Music Education-Instrumental
- Charlie Richard (Charles.Richard@rcc.edu): Jazz Studies; Jazz Performance; Jazz Improvvisation; Saxophone; Woodwinds; Music Education-Instrumental; Composition/Arranging
- James Rocillo (James.Rocillo@rcc.edu): Marching Band; Concert Band; Brass
- Steven Schmidt (Steven.Schmidt@rcc.edu): Percussion; Music Theory; Music Composition; Undecided Music Majors/Degree Guidance
- Jodi Julian (Jodi.Julian@rcc.edu) – Musical Theatre, Acting, etc.