Student Health and Psychological Services

Everybody feels off now and then — from a simple cough to the need for counseling. Your health clinic (SHPS), supported by the mandatory student health fee paid at registration, is here for you. There is no fee for visiting the office, however at this time, you do need to call and make an appointment. A small fee may be charged for in-office lab tests, prescription medicines, and immunizations.

Open for In-Person Care by Appointment Only-FOR IMMEDIATE EMERGENCY HELP CALL 911.

Walk-in appointments are NOT available. To make an appointment call the Office of Student Health and Psychological Services. Telehealth phone appointments are available with a nurse or counselor. If you are experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19 stay or go home, call Health Services and someone from our office will contact you to provide support and further guidance for safe return to campus. 

Phone: (951) 222-8151
Hours: Monday to Friday 8 am-5 pm
Location: Bradshaw Building below the Bookstore

  • Short Term Clinical Care
  • First Aid
  • Crisis Intervention 
  • Psychological Counseling (Group and Individual) 
  • Preventative Health Promotion and Education 
  • ​Immunizations and TB Testing 
  • Substance Abuse Information and Counseling 
  • Community Referrals 
  • Free Over-the-Counter Medications and Condoms 
  • Low-Cost Prescriptions (Antibiotics, etc.)  
  • Family-PACT, Free Family Planning for Eligible Students and Plan B​  (on hold until further notice). 

All registered students are eligible for vaccines. There is no immunization requirement for admission to the College, however students are urged to update their immunization status. Upon transfer, many universities require MMR and Hepatitis B clearance as a condition of admission. Additional information about immunization is available on the CDC website 
Tetanus, Diptheria and Pertussis (TD/TDAP) 
Most cases of tetanus and diphtheria occur in adults. The CDC recommends that all adults receive at least one TDAP and every 10 years thereafter. 
Hepatitis B 
A first-generation immunization against Hepatitis B, this is the minimum immunization required for all health care professionals. Anyone at high risk for exposure to body fluids, including persons engaging in sexual contact, should consider dual immunization as noted above. Hepatitis B is a serious disease and can be fatal. It is preventable with vaccination. 
Number Required: 3                                     
Influenza Vaccine (FLU) 
Influenza viruses change each year. Individuals should receive the new vaccine annually. Typically the flu shot is offered in the fall. 
Number Required: 1                                     
Measles, Mumps & Rubella (MMR) 
Receiving two doses of measles vaccine as a duet significantly decreases the risk of measles outbreaks on college campuses. 

Number Required:2                                     

TB Skin Test (PPD) Mantoux 
The TB test is required by many professions for employment. These include food service, health care, child care, and education. It can also be required for volunteer work. You must be able to return to the Health Center 48-72 hours after receiving the skin test for documentation of results. 
Number Required: 1                                     
Two-Step TB skin test: $20 ($10 each)    

Varicella Zoster Titer 
Most individuals have developed immunity to varicella zoster in childhood. A varicella titer is available to confirm immunity. If the individual is found to be susceptible to varicella zoster, immunization can be obtained in the community and referrals will be given. 
Immunizations are available through Riverside Neighborhood Health Center, 

7140 Indiana Ave., Riverside, CA 92504 
Appointments: 1 (800) 720-9553 
Clinic: (951) 358-6000 Fax #: (951) 358-6044 
Open: 7:30 am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday. Closed weekends and County Holidays

When you’re in need of after-hours care, you may be tempted to rush off to the emergency room (ER). There are important differences between the ER and urgent care center. 
  • Emergency Room Services: Don’t’ take a chance with any life-threatening or serious condition-stroke, heart attack, severe bleeding, head injury, or other major trauma. Get to the ER as soon as possible for these and other critical conditions such as chest pain, seizure, difficulty breathing., unusual abdominal pain, loss of consciousness, suicidal or homicidal feelings, coughing up or vomiting blood, or auto accident.
  • Urgent Care Services: An urgent care center treats minor illnesses and injuries that aren’t life-threatening. Average wait times tend to be in the 15-45-minute range. Your out-of-pocket expenses will be far lower than for an ER visit. Visit an urgent care center for issues including fever, back pain, sprains, sore throat, ear infections, mild asthma, minor cuts, rashes, minor burns, and flu-like symptoms.
Your medical records and all discussions with Health Center staff are confidential. Records will not be released without written consent of the student unless required by law. You must be a registered student to be eligible for services. Family members are not eligible. Faculty and staff are not eligible to use the services except for tuberculin skin testing as required by the District as a condition of employment.
The RCC Health Clinic keeps costs to a minimum, including reduced cost in-house lab tests, prescription medications and immunizations. Physical exams for RCCD program requirements - Nursing, Physician Assistant, etc. - are available at a cost of $25. TB tests are available for $10.
PACT is a family planning program that helps eligible students avoid getting pregnant or causing a pregnancy when they are not ready. The PACT program provides free contraceptive services and promotes reproductive health. All our services are available at no cost to you while you are enrolled. Family PACT is a limited-benefits family planning program with four simple eligibility criteria: 
  • You live in California 
  • You have a low family income or you receive financial aid for most of your income 
  • You must have no other source of health care coverage that can be used for family planning services 
  • You want to prevent an unplanned pregnancy or have a medical necessity for family planning services, regardless of gender. 

Family PACT offers the following birth control methods: 

  • Barriers, including condoms 
  • Birth control pills 
  • Emergency contraceptives like Plan B
  • Contraceptive shot (Depo)​ 

​and can provide referrals for the following: 

  • Contraceptive ring (NuvaRing) 
  • Contraceptive implant 
  • Intrauterine contraceptive (IUC) 
  • Contraceptive patch 
  • Diaphragm and cap 
  • Spermicides and sponge 
  • Natural family planning methods
  • Sterilization 

Wellness Workshops and Resources

Workshops and resources to help YOU!

The Seeking Success class series is designed to help individuals (ages 16-59) who have experienced a recent distressing event (e.g., traumatic events, injuries, accidents, assaults, etc.) to learn new ways to detach from emotional pain, to navigate through moments when triggers or feelings are overwhelming and to practice ways to live in the present by finding new ways to cope. 

Complete the Seeking Success Interest Form for more information. 

The Calm App is a leading app for meditation and sleep. Join the millions experiencing lower stress, less anxiety, and more restful sleep with our guided meditations, Sleep Stories, breathing programs, masterclasses, and relaxing music. Recommended by top psychologists, therapists, and mental health experts. 

Try a free 10 minute mindful meditation today!

Care Solace calms the chaos of mental health care. · Currently serving 3 million students, 150,000 school staff members and 12 million parents and families.
Trusted and vetted resources to help you right now

  • Alcohol
  • Bipolar
  • Cannabis
  • Anxiety
  • Inhalants
  • Suicide
  • Opiods
  • Obsessive compulsive
  • Stimulants
  • Trauma and Stress
  • Sedatives
  • Feeding and Eating
  • Disruptive, Impulse
  • Control
  • Neurodevelopment
  • Disorders
  • Marital Counseling

Get Help

  • Therapy
  • Online Therapy
  • Hospitalization
  • Residential inpatient treatment
  • Outpatient treatment
  • Detox Centers
  • Day Treatment

We help district staff, children, adolescents, adults and seniors. 

Mental health is a key part of your overall health. Brief screenings are the quickest way to determine if you or someone you care about should connect with a mental health professional. Take a free, completely anonymous and confidential Online Screening that provides immediate results, recommendations and key resources.
  • Set realistic goals 
  • Learn to study effectively 
  • Better manage your time and avoid procrastination 
  • Make a to-do list and prioritize 
  • Adopt a healthy lifestyle 
  • Explore your options and get help 
  • Let things go 
  • Schedule time for fun and relaxation 
  • Know when it’s time to quit some extracurriculars 
  • Simplify your life

Download, read and print the 84 Positive Coping Skills Poster

Use the Fast Facts index for quick and easy access to: Selected statistics on a variety of health topics.

If students have questions or need support related to CalFresh Food eligibility, case specific scenarios, recent regulation changes, or getting connected with your county…student can now use the CalFresh website and the Calfresh Benefits site

Need more help? Watch this video on How to apply for benefits! 

In addition to grant programs and research relevant to homelessness, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) also funds several resource centers and activities that provide valuable information for consumers, providers, and policymakers. 

The United Lift program provides up to 12 months of unpaid rent and utilities—plus an additional three months of future rental payments—for eligible Riverside County residents.

Frequently Asked Questions

A sore throat or runny nose may have people wondering whether they have just the seasonal sniffles or if they've contracted COVID-19.

Watch the video Cold, Flu, or COVID-19: How to tell the difference.

There is no charge to see the Health Services staff. Fees are required for certain additional services including lab tests, immunizations, pharmaceuticals, and program required physical exams.

Personal Wellness Physicals are free, by appointment. Physical exams for Riverside Community College program related requirements, (nursing, childcare programs, etc.) are available by appointment.

Some prescription pharmaceuticals are available at cost in Health Services when prescribed by a College physician or nurse practitioner, or a prescription may be issued for the student to take to their pharmacy of choice. No refills by phone.

The College does not provide medical insurance. The National Affordable Care Act requires all citizens to have health insurance or pay a tax penalty. Many students will be eligible for low or no cost insurance. The Health Services office has referrals to help you get coverage. Please come by anytime and talk with our staff! Having access to health insurance is essential to student success and wellness.

All accidents should be reported immediately to the instructor and the Health Center. As a registered student, limited insurance is provided against accidental injury occurring in class or while participating in a college sponsored event. This is a secondary insurance and a deductible applies. It is the student's responsibility to file a claim. All students are encouraged to carry their own health insurance.

Join host Mariana as she gives you a few tips on how to balance college and life. 

You can request to waive your fee by completing a Health Services Fee Waiver and turning it in with required documentation, to Student Health & Psychological Services (located in the Bradshaw Building below the Bookstore).

Psychotherapy is known by a few different names: counseling, talk therapy, or simply, therapy. Psychotherapy is a way of treating unwanted thoughts or feelings with the goal of developing healthier habits and coping skills.

Watch the What is Psychotherapy Youtube Video. 

Community Resources

If you are injured, seriously hurt or at immediate risk, call 911. 
You can also reach out to the following services: 
Suicidal Thoughts or Support Counseling 

  • HELPline - 24 hour Crisis/Suicide Intervention:
    (951) 686-HELP (4357) 
    Located in Riverside and available 24/7, this is a certified crisis center. The crisis counselor will help connect the caller to local resources and support. 
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 
    1 (800) 273-8255 
    Crisis Text Line (free, confidential, 24/7) 
    Text "Courage" to 741741 
    National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1 (800) 273-8255 
  • CREST Team (Community Response Evaluation and Support Team): 
    (951) 715-5040 
    Provides evaluation crisis intervention and referrals to patients experiencing psychiatric emergencies. 
    Veteran Crisis LINE (VA): 
    1 (800) 273-8255 (press 1 when prompted) or text 838255 
    Support for deaf and hard of hearing: 1(800)-799-4889​ 
  • SU CARES (Substance Use Community Access, Referral, Evaluation and Support): Line: 1 (800) 499-3008​ 
  • Riverside County 24-hour Detox Referral Line: (951) 955-2100 
  • Riverside County DUI Program: (951) 778-3500​​ 
  • Campus Safety and Police (951) 222-8171 
  • City of Riverside Police: (951) 826-5700 
  • Homeless Solutions
  • Workforce Development Center
  • Riverside University Health System

Students at Riverside City College, Moreno Valley College, and Norco College can access health services ​at each campus. See below for each campus' Student Health & Psychological Services information.  
Moreno Valley College 
Monday - Thursday: 8 am - 4 pm 
Friday: 8 am - 12 pm 
16130 Lasselle St. 
Moreno Valley, CA 92551 
Phone: (951) 571-6103 
Norco College 
Monday, Thursday: 8 am - 4:30 pm 
Friday: 8 am - 2 pm 
2001 Third St. 
Norco, CA 92860 
Phone: (951) 372-7046 

Visit online Wellness Central for free resources and information pertaining to your Student Health and Psychological Services.
Check out Each Mind Matters, the premiere California Mental Health Movement for stories, initiatives, resources and how to get involved. 
Listen and be sensitive to friends who need to talk seriously about mental health issues. You could be the difference they need. It’s Up to Us for more general information to help you better understand mental health. 
Find Group Therapy and Support Groups in Riverside, Riverside County, California.